Your dentist is your biggest ally when it comes to good oral health. Regular dental visits keep your gums and teeth strong and give your dentist a chance to learn about your overall health.
Oral health care, including use of X-rays, pain medication, and local anesthesia, is safe throughout pregnancy. As a Medi-Cal member, you are covered during your pregnancy and 12 months after the birth of your baby. Regardless of the type of Medi- Cal you have, you are able to receive all covered dental procedures as long as you meet all criteria and requirements for the procedures. Medi‑Cal will pay up to $1,800 in a year for covered dental services. You may qualify for more than the $1,800 yearly limit, if you have a medical need. Please visit “About the Medi‑Cal Dental Program” to find out more. The Medi‑Cal Dental Program provides the following free or low-cost services during pregnancy:
- Dental exams *
- Teeth cleaning *
- Scaling and root planing
- Fluoride varnish *
- Root canals
- Partial and full dentures
- Denture relines
- Tooth removal
- Emergency services
* Every 12 months if over 21 years of age or every 6 months if under 21 years of age.
**Crowns on molars or premolars (back teeth) may be covered in some cases.
Pregnancy and Your Baby
Keeping your teeth and gums healthy is one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself healthy. It is also an important part of keeping your baby healthy. Your gums and teeth need special attention when you are pregnant. Regular brushing and flossing, eating a balanced diet and visiting your dentist regularly, will help reduce dental problems that often accompany pregnancy, such as:
- Cavities and tooth decay: vomiting exposes your teeth to stomach acids that can weaken your tooth enamel
- Periodontal disease: evidence suggests tooth infections can be a major risk factor for babies born too soon or with low birth weight
- Gingivitis: due to decreased immune response and hormonal fluctuations
Additional Resources for Pregnancy
Medi-Cal Covers Dental During Pregnancy brochure
Medi-Cal Covers Dental During Pregnancy flyer